Thursday, September 11, 2008

For the peeps

I saw this clip today, and I found it very moving. I thought I would share it with you guys, It is the first Daily Show after September 11, 2001. Jon Stewart is nothing less than a treasure and I am so glad he is around. He is an amazing man and I seriously think he is one of those people who cannot be given enough praise. I teared up when he recalled his story about Martin Luther King Jr. The clip really tore me up, when 9/11 happened I was in my business math class in high school, and I was, I think too stupid and too emotionally detached to understand what had happened, this clip gives me the feeling I think I should have had when it happened. Jon Stewart has opened up my eyes to, just the amount of suffering and love that people can have for a city and it's people. I am envious, I truly am of the New York City culture, a love for a city, the sense of togetherness, and the combined humbling effect it had on the city. The reverence that follows the topic. I feel extremely depressed that it has taken this long for me to realize this, but I am glad I have, and I really owe to Jon Stewart.



I also find it very interesting where and when I feel the need to just use the emotions that I have, that a video clip of a comedy show can move me to tear up and bear a tiny bit of my personal side. I am really thankful for that.

Even if I come off a little gay.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I think you make an interesting point, about being almost envious of New Yorkers, envious of their connection to this tragedy, of the way they came together.
To be honest, it's something I felt too.
We were here on 09/11/06, the five year mark from 2001, and we went down to the WTC site, and looked around, and I couldn't help but feel that I'd missed out on something.
It's a weird, almost inappropriate thought, but I'd be surprised if a lot of people didn't feel like this.

Unknown said...

Yeah, like we talked about, this video is pretty amazing. I enjoy the glimpse into Jon Stewart's greater humanity. It's refreshing and heartwarming to be honest about our feelings. It was a great tragedy and I think we've forgotten a little bit how deeply it affected everyone. Thanks for that video.

annie said...

I had never seen that before, so thanks for sharing it. I agree with what valerie said. It's not that you wanted to be there to witness a devastation like 9/11, but you did want to be a part of the rallying together, the survival, the bond that comes from sharing an experience however horrific. I really think NYC was the envy of Americans at that time b/c I don't think you could find an enemy on those streets, you instantly had 8 million friends.